Always Fighting For You
Newport Beach Catastrophic Injury Lawyers
Fighting for Victims of Catastrophic Injury Victims in California
Manning Law, APC provides effective legal representation to clients who have suffered catastrophic injuries. These types of injuries are life-changing, resulting in the need for expensive medical care and an inability for the injured person to live a normal life or work. Our catastrophic injury attorneys in Newport Beach represent clients with injuries caused by the negligence of another person.
What Is Considered a Catastrophic Injury?
A catastrophic injury refers to severe injuries that have long-term, often permanent, effects on the victim's life. These injuries typically result in substantial loss of physical capabilities or functionality, requiring extensive medical treatment and care, and often leading to significant lifestyle changes. Catastrophic injuries can take a variety of forms, including:
- Brain injuries: Traumatic injuries to the brain can result in cognitive impairments, physical disabilities, and changes in behavior.
- Spinal cord injuries: Damage to the spinal cord can lead to paralysis, loss of sensation, and loss of bodily functions below the level of injury.
- Blindness: Complete or partial loss of vision can significantly impact a person's daily life and independence.
- Amputations: The surgical removal of a body part, such as a limb or digit, can require rehabilitation and adaptive devices for mobility and function.
- Multiple fractures: The occurrence of two or more broken bones in the body can cause pain, swelling, immobility, and require medical intervention.
- Nerve injuries: Damage to the nerves can result in numbness, weakness, and loss of function in the affected area.
The aftermath of a catastrophic injury extends beyond physical pain, impacting mental and emotional well-being, and imposing immense financial burdens due to ongoing medical costs and lost income.
How Do Catastrophic Injuries Happen?
Catastrophic injuries can occur in a variety of circumstances, with some scenarios being more common than others. The nature of a catastrophic accident often determines the severity and type of injury sustained. Commonly, catastrophic injuries are a result of events such as falls from heights, acts of violence, sporting accidents, and other situations.
Listed below are other common causes of catastrophic injuries:
- Motor vehicle accidents: High-speed collisions can result in severe injuries, including traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and multiple fractures. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), motor vehicle accidents are a leading cause of catastrophic injuries in the United States.
- Slip and fall accidents: Falls, especially from heights or on hard surfaces, can lead to serious injuries such as fractured bones, traumatic brain injuries, and spinal cord damage. These accidents frequently occur due to unsafe premises, including poorly maintained sidewalks, staircases, and slippery surfaces.
- Pedestrian accidents: Numerous incidents involving pedestrians occur, especially in areas with high foot traffic and busy roadways. These accidents pose significant risks and can result in severe injuries such as fractures, head trauma, or spinal cord injuries.
- Motorcycle accidents: The high-impact nature of a motorcycle collision can result in severe injuries and pose significant risks. Riders may experience traumatic injuries such as head trauma, spinal cord damage, or multiple fractures due to the high impact involved.
- Bicycle accidents: Because bicycles have very little protection, and drivers often fail to share the road, a bike crash can cause significant injuries, such as fractures, head trauma, and severe physical harm. These incidents may result in long-term physical and emotional consequences for those involved.
How Can Catastrophic Injuries Affect Your Life?
Catastrophic injuries fundamentally alter the course of victims' lives, causing monumental changes that extend far beyond physical trauma. Social life, emotional health, and financial stability are all critically affected. Victims often experience a significant decrease in their quality of life as they grapple with chronic pain, disability, and the loss of independence.
Financially, catastrophic injuries often lead to substantial costs, including medical bills, ongoing healthcare services, rehabilitation, and the need for assistive devices. Victims may also face lost wages and diminished earning potential if they're unable to return to their previous line of work. These combined financial strains can create a significant burden, exacerbating the stress and difficulty of the recovery process.
With the multitude of challenges posed by catastrophic injuries, victims and their families frequently find themselves in need of a legal advocate. A skilled Newport Beach catastrophic injury attorney can provide invaluable support, navigating complex legal landscapes to pursue compensation for medical expenses, lost earnings, pain, and suffering. They are committed to holding those responsible accountable and securing the financial resources necessary to help victims rebuild their lives after a catastrophic accident.
Our Newport Beach Catastrophic Injury Attorneys Can Help
Catastrophic injury cases are complex and require an attorney with specific knowledge and experience in this area of the law. Our Newport Beach catastrophic injury lawyers are well-versed in personal injury law. We purposely handle these difficult cases regularly, which has allowed us to gain extensive knowledge in this practice area, so we can anticipate the potential issues in each case.
What Damages Can I Receive Compensation For?When your injury is caused by the actions or negligence of another person, you can take legal action to recover costs resulting from your injury. We represent clients seeking damages for the following:
Past and future medical bills:Oftentimes medical bills can extend far beyond the individual's initial accident. The victim may require extended hospital stays, operations, and even regular checkups during their recovery process. If you were injured due to someone else's negligence, we will fight to ensure that you receive compensation for these expenses.
Rehabilitation:For injuries resulting in long-term side effects, it is important for the victim to be able to focus on their recovery and rehabilitation, rather than worrying about how they will pay for their recovery process.
Lost income:Most serious accidents will be accompanied by significant amount of time off of work. If someone else's negligence has rendered you unable to work, they should be held responsible for your loss of income during that time.
Mental anguish:Mental anguish can include various forms of depression and anxiety that someone may experience as a result of their accident, or even the loss of someone close to them.
Physical pain and suffering:This type of compensation can be pursued in regards to the physical injuries a victim has experienced and the pain and suffering that those injuries have caused them.
How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Claim?Under California’s personal injury statute of limitations, you generally have two years from the date of your injury to file a civil lawsuit in court against the responsible party. If the at-fault party is a government agency, you have an even tighter deadline of six months. If you do not seek legal action within this timeframe, the court will likely refuse to hear your case at any time to the future and you will lose your right to seek compensation. These deadlines can sometimes be extended under specific circumstances, such as if the injured party is a minor, the injury or the cause of the injury was not immediately apparent, or the injured individual suffers mental or physical incapacitation due to the injury. Regardless, if you are unsure how the statute of limitations applies to your case, it is important that you get an attorney involved promptly to guard your legal rights.
If I Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer, Will I Have to Go to Court?While going to court is certainly a possibility, many personal injury claims are settled out of court through negotiations between your attorney and the responsible party’s insurance company. A trial may only be necessary if these negotiations should fail, such as in circumstances where fault is disputed or if there is a disagreement over the value of your claim. Our attorneys prepare each case as if it were going to trial to give us the best positioning possible during settlement negotiations.
How Long Will My Personal Injury Case Take?Your case could take several months or even years to settle depending on the situation. The timeline of your case will vary depending on factors such as the severity of your injuries, the amount of medical treatment you need, complications of liability, and the level of cooperation of the responsible party’s insurance company.
How Much Is My Personal Injury Case Worth?Your case’s value will be based on factors such as the severity and long-term impact of your injuries, the amount of medical treatment you need, the strength of evidence proving the other party’s liability, and the amount of insurance coverage available in your case. It is best to discuss your case with a skilled attorney to get a more accurate picture of your case’s potential value.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire Manning Law, APC?Manning Law, APC accepts all personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis, which means there are no up-front costs for you. We only get paid if we are successful in your case.
How Do I Know Manning Law, Apc Is Right for My Case?Manning Law, APC offers free consultations, works on contingency, and has recovered millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements on behalf of past clients. With more than 100 years of combined legal experience, we have what it takes to maximize your chances of securing the compensation you deserve.
We have Recovered Millions for Our Clients
Over 100 Years of Combined Experience
You Don't Pay Until We Win
We Speak Spanish, Farsi, & French